The makeup artist is responsible for any makeup or other decorations which are applied directly to the skin or hair. Hairstyle is included.
Television makeup is used to:
- Make faces appear natural under various lighting conditions.
- Improve or alter the appearance of talent, actors, etc.
- Add to the character of an actor, e.g. happy or tired appearance.
- Create special effects, e.g. age, wounds, etc.
- In drama, the makeup artist will consult with the director, wardrobe and actors about the look and feel of characters.
Makeup must be kept consistent from scene to scene — this can involve a lot of organization for out-of-sequence shooting.In live/studio television, the makeup artist is often seen on set during breaks to perform touch-ups.